[rescue] Re: Low Cost Postscript printer in US

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Sat Feb 21 03:21:24 CST 2004

Nadine wrote:

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced laser printer
that does duplex?

I have an HP LJ 3something that does duplex, but it's
a bit of a behemoth.

-------------------<end quote>-------------------

My advice is to stay away from any B&W laser printer that HP produced after
the LJ 4100. The reason is that prior to that point HP only used Canon print
engines in their laser printers. After that point they started using a print
engine that they designed in-house and, quite frankly, the new engines are
junk. The new low-cost colour laser printers also use an HP engine, and IMO
are especially bad.

Most workgroup printers from the 4 series onwards support an external
duplexing option tray and you can pick up cheap used units on EBay. I
personally have a used LJ 5000 in the office (this is an A3 capable printer). I
think I paid about $500 USD for it including the duplexing unit and a extra
500-sheet tray (the print engine only had 5000 pages on it). The printer came
from a local printer technician, so it has a warranty and someone I can call if
it ever needs servicing.

Regards,

Gavin