[rescue] Serial console on IBM RS/6000 250?

Todd Carson tc+rescue at jc.dsl.telerama.com
Fri Feb 20 19:58:48 CST 2004

I recently picked up an IBM RS/6000 250 that I'm interested in using to try and gain some familiarity with AIX. However, I have no experience with IBM workstations, and I can't seem to get the system working with a serial console. It seems to boot into AIX successfully (based on LED and hard drive activity), but I can't get any output to the serial console.

I'm using a null modem adapter and cable that have worked fine with Suns, HPs, and DECstations; my settings are 96008N1. I've tried using both serial ports on the machine ("S1" and "S2"), and also removing the framebuffer. The lock is in the "normal" position, and I don't have the key.

I saw a mention in the list archives of a serial cable with a different pinout; is this what I need, or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks,
Todd Carson