[rescue] Any HP/Nextstep PA gurus about?

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Fri Feb 20 07:12:08 CST 2004

William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
> I've got - or at least thought I had - all the bits together to set up
> Nextstep 3.3 on my 9000/715/64. Of course it's not that simple...
>
> So the question is - just how fussy is the 715 about bootable cdrom
> drives? I have my 512k block 4x Plextor installed that boots sun, sgi,
> vax, etc. with no problem but I'm getting a "boot process failed" error.
> I have the cdrom at id 1 and the disk to install to at 0 ala the
> openpa.org nextstep page and I am using the command "boot scsi.1" to try
> to boot. It does this to the nextstep cd I have, to a cdr of HPUX
> 10.20 from a rescue member and to the 11.0 cdr's I got direct from
> HP last summer, all of which inclines me towards the cdrom as being the
> villain here. The jumpers are set up according to the manual I
> downloaded from Plextor - id 1, parity on, term off (it is physically
> between the disk and the motherboard connection), block on.
>
> Any hints? Or anyone with an old HP A2655 or Toshiba XM-3401 for me to
> borrow or buy?

Others have mentioned changing the SCSI-id, and I'll elaborate. I don't
have any experience with 715s, but with 712s the default for the hard
disk is SCSI id 2, and default for the CD-ROM as SCSI id 6. I seem to
recall my 712 having a hard time booting from CD with settings other
than the defaults, so this may be worth a try.  -  Mike