[rescue] Blocked via dsbl.org Phil...

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Thu Feb 19 17:27:05 CST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2004, at 6:06 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> >> Then they need to be LARTed.
> >
> > I RTFRFCed, and it appears that luser@[123.123.123.123] is now an
> > accepted syntax.  I can't imagine how in the world this makes life any
> > better for anyone, and I wish like everything it wasn't in there, but
> > it is.
>
>    What??  How in hell would an MTA do an MX lookup for something like
> that?

First of all, this is not new.  It's been around for quite some time (10+
years), though standards lagged in including it as mandatory.  RFC2821
from 2001 finally includes it.

The lookup is bypassed, as you would expect.  Being able to specify the
address "manually" is actually quite handy during debugging.  It allows
you to test without involving DNS, which not only lets you easily test
when DNS is nonfunctional or incorrect, but it lets you test mail delivery
on specific mail exchangers when there are multiple MX records for an
address.

-Janet