[rescue] Blocked via dsbl.org Phil...

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Thu Feb 19 17:22:24 CST 2004

   On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Absolutely.  Some very old info in the dusty parts of my brain (as if
> there are any non-dusty parts!) says that you're not *supposed* to be
> able to send email to username at ipaddr.

   Farting dust, are you?  ;-)

   It's perfectly permissible to send mail to a user by specifying
the IP address of the server explictly.  That said, the proper
syntax is "username@[ip.ad.dr.ess]".  It's not done much nowadays,
but since the aim of DSBL is to track by IP address, they need to
directly poke a _specific_ entity, not necessarily the MX host of
record in the DNS.

   The brackets are there to tell the MTA explicitly that, "This is
an IP ADDRESS, fool, so don't try looking it up via the resolver."

   Dang, it's cold here.  I wish I was back in Florida....