[rescue] 11/750 care (was: 1 maybe 2 FREE SGI Crimsons)

meltie lists at microvax.org
Wed Feb 18 19:19:48 CST 2004

On Thursday 19 February 2004 01:05, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >    I think you meant:
> >    http://www.microvax.org/awx/computers/VAXen/11-750/meandmyvax.jpg
>
>    Time to move. :-)  Basements usually aren't terribly healthy
> environments for machines unless they're left running 24x7 and
> can produce enough heat to keep the humidity down.  The 11/750
> ought to be able to hold its own, though.

It is the only (and I mean the only, unless you count the shed at the
bottom of the garden) place I can keep it. It's not running as the PSUs
are dead, and the mildew has got to the mains snake so I can't test it
without getting a new load of that stuff. Basically, it needs rehousing.

I'm a student living in rented accommodation, and the only way I could have
it with me is if I removed every single rivet in the chassis, replaced
them with bolts and flat-packed the entire thing. And I can't find
antistatic bags big enough for the CPU cards to keep them safe.

Believe it or not, it's in a better position now than it was...

alex/melt