[rescue] Resurrecting an IBM RS/6000 model 590

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Feb 17 11:34:15 CST 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    I saw red for hours.  The tie-wearing MORONS who can barely wipe
> their own asses by themselves simply don't have the mental capacity to
> understand anything other than golf, management hair, power ties,
> stealing money, and destroying companies.

The mentality, as it's manifested itself to me is very simple:

   1) Money is an indicator of importance.
   2) Suits (generally) make more money than geeks.
   3) Suits manage "important" things.
   4) Ergo, suits are important, and what they understand is important.
   5) If they don't understand it, it's not important.

Which is why you have bosses who think you can call up $chipHaus and
order "fixit parts" to correct a design error, and why I'm blue in the
face here explaining why a Windows-based IDS is neither necessary nor
prudent for detecting intrusions on the Windows LAN, and why, in both
instances, it's not a question of right vs. wrong but a question of why
that long-haired guy is being a pain in the ass again.

> What they did is still very relevant today, lest we continue the habit
> of reinventing the wheel and patting ourselves on the back for our
> "new" ideas.

No doubt.  How many times has pipelining been "new" again?  Or how about
that never-ending seasaw between dumb CPU-controlled devices sitting on
the bus and smart self-controlled devices chatting on the bus?

I shudder to think how many revolutionary ideas were almost realized in
some lab somewhere before some asshat in a corner office decided that he
needed a bonus more than that project needed another shot of funding.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."