[rescue] Re: [geeks] IKEA "Jerker" desk instructions?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Feb 16 12:13:58 CST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> What chaps my hide is when "large database" became "data warehouse".

When I was at JJT, the terms were distinct.  A data warehouse was a
collection of otherwise independent databases with an overreaching query
program that could draw correlations for what analysts called "decision
support".  I'd hope that distinction still exists, because it was, at
one time, a pretty big advance in auditing and analysis.

Some RDBMSes, such as Oracle and PostgreSQL support multiple schemas
within the same database instance, and those schemas can be isolated or
merged, depending on the rights of the person performing the query, so
calling on of those instances a "data warehouse" would be entirely
unfit.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."