[rescue] Re: Sun E4500 Performance Question

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Feb 16 01:46:21 CST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:56:40AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2004, at 12:53 AM, James Jacocks wrote:
> >>The sweet spot for Exx00 CPUs is currently the 336MHz/4MB US-II
> >>module. A couple of months ago there were stacks on EBay selling for
> >>around $5 each (not a misprint). I understand they mostly came from
> >>E10k systems that were being scrapped. I bought a set of of 30 x
> >>336MHz/4MB processor modules for my E6000 system and paid less
> >>then $200 plus postage.
> >>
> ><snip>
> >That is a heck of a good deal.  I'm looking at > $35/each for such
> >modules right now.
>
>   Jeeeeezus.  I have four of these modules available, and I thought I
> was going to get decent money for them.  I guess not. :)  Anybody wanna
> buy 'em?

What exact part numbers?  If they match mine, I could use some spares.
I'm down to one spare.

Hmm, at the moment it's actually possible for me to fight the E3000 out
from under the table......

[about 20 minutes later] I have all 501-4363s at the moment, 336MHz/4MB
UltraSparc-II on 501-2976 83MHz boards.  It's kind of odd to look these
processors up on sun.com and see them listed at $11,495 each.  I could
technically install 400MHz/8MB CPUs, but these processor boards will
only address the first 2MB of cache, so the gain wouldn't be worth the
cost -- I'd be much better off adding more RAM, of which I have "only"
1GB of a possible 12GB.

 : alaric at caerllewys.net|alaric-ruthven at earthlink.net|alaric at novylen.net  :