[rescue] [OT?] Linux on a SS2

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sat Feb 14 22:53:19 CST 2004

On Saturday 14 February 2004 23:13, Eric Webb wrote:
> So, you guys are talking me into finally loading OpenBSD on this
> SS5/170 I have gathering dust.  I'm not *really* needing an extra
> layer of firewalling, but I had considered using it for this purpose.
>  I may use it to run a VPN between my home and the homes of other
> family members.

It may just be a Linux thing (but I *think* it applies to the *BSD's as
well), but I think the only thing that'll run well on a SS5/170 is
Solaris, due to Fujitsu doing something strange with their Sun4m
implementation.  I had Debian running on a 170 for a while, and was
getting a kernel panic about once a day.  When I replaced the machine
with a 85 (or maybe 70), it ran rock-solid.  A friend of mine has tried
installing Debian (and Redhat SPARC) on some other 170s, and hasn't
ever gotten it to install successfully.

Has anyone gotten NetBSD or OpenBSD to install/run without problems on a
SS5/170?  I'm just realizing I've never tried... about the only thing I
use a *BSD for (NetBSD) is for DEC hardware that Linux doesn't support
(or doesn't support well), and for a brief time on a PReP-based
RS/6000.

It's quite funny actually why I use Linux...  The reason I ended up
chosing it (which at the time I was chosing Slackware Linux) over
FreeBSD was based on what they said in a Walnut Creek CDROM catalog I
got in the mail.  It's funny how the "littlest things" can influence
your life. :)  I've now moved on to using Debian, but used Slackware
from about '96 when i installed it on a 486 using the UMSDOS filesystem
so I didn't have to reparition my computer, until sometime in 2002.
Slack still has its charm, but it's nice to not have to compile most
things from source (why would I want to recompile from source when
someone else has done it for me?  How much faster can I really make
bash when I compile it for my specific processor?).

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue