[rescue] [OT?] Linux on a SS2

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sat Feb 14 22:13:10 CST 2004

On Saturday 14 February 2004 04:47 pm, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Now, if you want to make use of the nicer features of pf (bandwidth-
> throttling via queues, tables, os-fingerprinting, etc), you can kill a
> whole day tweaking stuff as you read the man page and scream "oooh!
> that's SO COOL!".

So, you guys are talking me into finally loading OpenBSD on this SS5/170 I
have gathering dust.  I'm not *really* needing an extra layer of firewalling,
but I had considered using it for this purpose.  I may use it to run a VPN
between my home and the homes of other family members.

If I wanted to make an OpenBSD box double as a general-purpose web server on
the 'net, would it do it well?  What I'm asking is how well does Open do for
non-firewall tasks compared to NetBSD or even Linux?

Finally, can anyone comment on firewalling performance for a SS5/170 running
OpenBSD?  In this situation, I would have the following setup:

 1.5Mb Cable --> Linksys router --> SS5/OpenBSD firewall --> home network

Would I see any loss of performance (e.g., while web surfing)?  The Linksys is
mostly there as lightning fodder, in addition to APC arrestors.  For right
now, though, it's the only firewall/router.

Anyone with experience using this kind of setup with Squid?  (maybe a stupid
idea considering that I have decent bandwidth.)

Eric