[rescue] New toy - AlphaServer 800

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Feb 14 20:39:38 CST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 10:09:45AM +1100, Robert Rose wrote:
> On 15/02/2004, at 2:50 AM, Dave wrote:
> >Those machines are capable of amazing amounts of work.
> Any comparison to an Origin 200?  Been lusting after one of them for a
> few years now (well actually I've been lusting after an affordable 8+
> CPU Origin 2000, but finding one seems to be impossible); however, if
> this thing is roughly comparable (despite the obvious single CPU
> restriction and fewer drive bays) then I think I'm in love.

There are a lot of 8 proc O2100s on ebay currently.  Some have gone
really cheap ($2225), others have a higher bin, but the seller is
reportedly willing to negotiate cheaper prices.

That's a bit more expensive than a CPU, and I won't buy one till they
are much cheaper, but it does seem like a fair and reasonable price.

However, I don't know how happy the seller would be about shipping to
Australia.

BTW, one list member recently put together a 16proc origin for well
under $3k.