[rescue] [OT?] Linux on a SS2

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Feb 14 15:57:16 CST 2004

Kay says ...
[I said ... ]
> > How much have you got in there now?  The "maximum" of 96 MB?  You can
> > actually cram 128 MB of RAM in an LX/Classic: put 32 MB SIMMs in bank 0
> > (or whatever the first bank is called), and 16 MB SIMMs in the rest.
> >  ( 2 * > 32 ) + ( 4 * 16) = 128.

> yes i have the 128meg's ...

That's about it, hardware-wise, then.

> > I assume you also run the minimum amount of "stuff" already....

> dont have much running ... see below..
> ns1# ps -e
>    PID TTY      TIME CMD
>      0 ?        0:02 sched
>      1 ?        0:01 init
>      2 ?        0:00 pageout
>      3 ?       74:56 fsflush
>    192 ?        0:00 sac
>    195 ?        0:00 ttymon
>     94 ?       1363:30 ipmon
>     60 ?        0:00 sysevent
>    129 ?        0:00 rpcbind
>    641 console  0:01 csh
>    724 pts/1    0:00 ps
>    153 ?        0:00 inetd
>    164 ?       429:08 syslogd
>    165 ?        0:03 cron
>    185 ?        0:00 utmpd

ipmon certainly seems to be using a lot of time, but, for all I know, that
may be normal.

What's on the "other" side of this box?  Elsewhere you mention using 3 of
the 4 QFE interfaces, 2 at 10base and 1 at 100base.  I assume one 10base
connection is to the Internet, and one of the others is to your LAN, but
what about the third?

If Sun's "one port, one processor" rule really means anything (and I suppose
it's more important at 100base than at 10), you might consider a reconfig
that reduces the number of QFE ports in use.  I guess....

-Shel