[rescue] [OT?] Linux on a SS2

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Sat Feb 14 13:02:44 CST 2004

> Install NetBSD. NetBSD runs well on SPARC for ages. I am using a SS1
> with NetBSD as a primary nameserver. It Just Works (C) (R) (TM). Linux

Seconded. Put NetBSD or OpenBSD on a sun4c, not Linux.

> has some problems on sun4c machines due to the MMU architecture. Linux
> works on sun4c, but is slow.

Yes. The BSD-s implement a more efficient algorithm for dealing with
sun4c MMU. Linux flushes too often. sun4m and sun4u is OK for Linux,
sun4d mostly worked in 2.2 but no SMP (if anything at all) in 2.4 or 2.6
kernels.

Also, due to the lack of sun4c developers I would expect recent Linux to
occasionaly[*] have problems on sun4 and sun4c. In my experience *BSD
does not have this kind of problems.

[*] as in "some kernel versions", not "sometimes every release has
problems"

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)