[rescue] SS/10 CPU Question...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 13:18:37 CST 2004

--- Scott Newell <newell at cei.net> wrote:
> >My question is, anyone have any reson to suggest the SM71 over
> > the dual HS90s (two single CPU cards)?
> >
> >My thoughts are that the SM71 will be under-utilized due to the buss
> >speed in the SS/10, but it has a larger cache (1 Meg) than the HS90s
> >(256K)...
> >
> >So, clock for clock, SuperSPARC vs. HyperSPARC? One Meg vs. dual
> >256K cache?
>
> If you have both on hand, why not do a few informal benchmarks?  At
> least then you'd _know_ how they stack up in your hardware, with your
> configuration.

That sounds reasonable - I even have an SM40 (EEK!) to throw into the
mix...

> There's a small pile of simple C benchmarks near the bottom of:
> http://home.iae.nl/users/mhx/

I'll take a look later, thanks!

I noticed an HS150 w/512K cache on ebay for BIN of $50 + $10 S/H - I'm
tempted, but how much money needs to go on the shelf ;^)

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall