[rescue] SS/10 CPU Question...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 10:27:06 CST 2004

Hello all,

I built up my spare-parts SS/10, and it is pretty nice, but it needs
some more disk space...

SS/10
1x SM71 *or* 2x Ross HS90
4x 64 Meg DIMMs
4x 16 Meg DIMMs
1x 1 Gig HD
TGX+

My question is, anyone have any reson to suggest the SM71 over the dual
HS90s (two single CPU cards)?

My thoughts are that the SM71 will be under-utilized due to the buss
speed in the SS/10, but it has a larger cache (1 Meg) than the HS90s
(256K)...

So, clock for clock, SuperSPARC vs. HyperSPARC? One Meg vs. dual 256K
cache?

BTW, if anyone is interested in buying either the SM71 or the two HS90s
from me, that would help with the decision process ;^)

As for the intended use of this machine, there is none, except that it
is not worth $$ to sell, nor maybe even ship, so I'll put it on a
shelf, next to the dual SM81 SS/20 and the SS/5-170 that are seemingly
not worth shipping anymore.

Sigh, "The Island of Undervalued Sun Workstations."

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall