[rescue] another sandia/los Alamos auction

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Feb 13 00:00:38 CST 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 12:54:13AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> Actually, most/all of the labs now have SunBlade 100s due to a strange
> deal with Sun (ordering the SunBlades with a new server they were
> getting was cheaper than the server without the SunBlades...).

This is very common with Sun.  "Hey, since I bought that E6500/E10K/etc,
throw in some U5s and U10s.."

At a prior job, we found out that our Platinum support contract on all
of our servers covered *monitors* as well - but yet we were running them
headless!

So.. everyone scrounged up all the old-n-busted Sun monitors we could
find (GDM20E10s, GDM20E20s, even a couple GDM1962Bs), stuck them in one
room of the office, and called our Sun FE.  He took a look at them a
few days later, made a couple calls, and shortly, we had a couple
pallets of brand-new 21" flatscreen trinitrons arrive. 8-)  Sun told us
"just junk the old monitors".

At home here, I've currently got two U5s and a SB100 still new-in-the-box,
a "gently used" (I got it when new) SB100, a SunRay 1, a dual-cpu U60,
a SunBlade 1000, etc.  The current ohno.mrbill.net is an U5/333 (it's been
sold, and will be going to its current owner after I get the E3K to the
colocation facility and migrate things over).

The only system here at home that gets a lot of use, sadly (if you want
to call it that; I call it "saving electric bills") is my dual-867Mhz
PowerMac G4 running OSX 10.3.  Suns make great servers and headless
boxes, but I've even replaced the U10/440 on my desk at work wtih an
Athlon 1Ghz box and GeForce 4MX running Fedora Core 1.

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net