[rescue] Block size and the single DD - more test results

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Feb 12 19:45:57 CST 2004

Carl R. Friend wrote:

>   On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Caleb Shay wrote:
>

>>As far as I know, the true meaning of 'dd' has been lost to the mists
>>of time, but it likely stood for something along the lines of 'disk
>>duplicator' or 'data dumper' or something along those lines.
>>

>   "Diddle and Duplicate", I've heard it as.  But that's probably
>apocryphal.

I always thought it was "Direct Draw" for some reason, i may have just
come up with that myself.  Quick googling reveals:

http://www.roesler-ac.de/wolfram/acro/credits.htm#1

"/ Actually, it stands for `Copy and Convert' and was renamed to `dd`
only because `cc' was reserved for the C compiler! This is the authentic
information I got from the man pages of our Unix-V7 on our university
PDP 11./"

Sounds believeable i guess....

    -Dan Sikorski