[rescue] Solaris 10 on Sun Hardware

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 14:00:14 CST 2004

--- Gary Nichols <gary at linuxforce.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > Which Linux? I tried Aurora Linux when they first put a .iso
> > release out and was underwhelmed with performance... I'd be
> > curious what you run on your U1...
>
> Gentoo.  The install can be a hair-pulling experience, but once
> you're past that everything else is a breeze.  "emerge" is your
> friend. :-)

Isn't that the distribution that has you compile everything locally?

After watching a U1-170e grind it's way through the 9_Reccomended jumbo
patch (all 130 Meg of it!), I can only imagine what compiling
*everything* in a distribution on that machine would be like! ;^)

(In hind sight, I probably should have dropped the jumbo patch on an
external HD, that probably would have sped things up considerably!)

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall