[rescue] Block size and the single DD

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 12:22:46 CST 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:47:46 -0500, Kevin Loch wrote:
> Mike Meredith wrote:
> > Plenty. GNU tar doesn't backup filesystems (which isn't just the
> > files)
>
> And many times that is a feature.

Hmm ... I'm not sure, although I'm fairly happy about giving up
filesystem backup utilities (*dump) in favour of file-by-file backups if
there's a sufficient reason. It seems that the more I learn, the less
certain I am :)

> But I'm still curious what "acl's"
> gnu tar doesnt save?  It stores uid, gid, permissions, atime, mtime
> and ctime.  Am I missing something?

Yup. 'man setfacl' for Linux or Solaris, and 'man chacl' for IRIX. I'm
not sure how widely used ACL's are, but I've used them myself in the
past. I don't know that GNU tar doesn't backup ACL's but the info page
(at a quick look) doesn't seem to mention it, so it seems unlikely.