[rescue] Block size and the single DD

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Feb 11 09:47:05 CST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:31:11AM -0500, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Has anyone some suggestions on what "rescue-compatible" hardware might be
> fast enough?  My SGI Challenge L with 2xR10k/195 instead of 4xR4k/150?  An
> Indigo^2 R10k/195?  Sun Ultra 1 170e?

What is the actual bandwidth your DLT needs?  Does it need 20mbytes/sec,
or what?  The DLT2000XT someone else mentioned using on an Octane
appears to only need 1.25 megabytes uncompressed or 2.5megs/sec
compressed to keep it happy.  That should be a cinch for an Octane to
provide for any reasonable 9 gig disk.  I don't know what his problem
is.  Other DLTs I'm looking at can require up to 36megs/second.

Either of you SGIs should have no trouble I would think.  Then again,
I'm a bit surprised that your Classic can't do it since you've added a
second wide SCSI card (is it fast wide, or just wide?  Since the
internal disks are plain narrow SCSI it probably doesn't matter I guess).