[rescue] Resurrecting an IBM RS/6000 model 590

Stephen Sukovich ssukovich at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Feb 8 21:05:43 CST 2004

>I stopped using UPS for stuff I care about when they destroyed a Sun
>SPARCstorage 100.  It was shipped full of drives and trays and would
>no-longer sit flat on a table.  How do you -do- that to something
that's
>almost 80% solid metal??

When I bought my sparcstorage array 112 off ebay. The guy packaged it in
2 boxes. One with the drive trays, and the other with the hunking huge
box. It was shipped ups, and when I got it. Everything was wrapped with
bubble wrap then the box was filled with that form fitting foam.

It was shipped UPS.

All the little latches on the power supply, and the controller card were
broken off, and the front panel was cracked. It looked like the whole
thing had shifted and fallen over inside the form fitting foam during
transit. I HAVE NO IDEA how that could happen unless you DROP the
thing!! Arg I hate ups...

Do you have any idea how horrible it is to pull the controller board or
power supply out of a SSA without those latches? The same thing on a
sparc server 1000....

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and