[rescue] speaking of older sparcs

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Feb 6 18:39:54 CST 2004

On Feb 6, 2004, at 7:29 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>>    sparc 4s, meaning SPARCstation-4s, or Sun4/xxx systems?  I assume
>> you
>> mean the former.  Those are 4m machines, and are supported by current
>> releases of Solaris.
>
> But only until Solaris 10 is released.  Nothing older than a U30 or U5
> is supported, from what I've heard.  Yes, that includes the U1 and U2.

   I hadn't head about that...That's pretty silly.  I agree with your
assessment that the Ultra2 is one of the finest systems they ever
sold...in fact, I'd say it's one of the finest systems ANY manufacturer
has ever sold.

> I wonder if that's a function of sbus going away (which would screw
> over
> a lot of people with Exx00 systems) or a function of support for only
> UltraSPARC-II and newer.

   Exx00 systems can have either sbus or PCI (or both I believe); I
wonder if that'll affect their decision at all.  Also, I wonder how
many releases will go by before things stop working...as opposed to
things being unsupported.

        -Dave