[rescue] (OT) advice sought ... Mac 'book cleared for purchase

John B. Lee jbl2007 at columbia.edu
Thu Feb 5 16:48:36 CST 2004

I think it really depends on what you want to do with it, and how you
are going to use it. When I got my iBook, I figured that I would mostly
be writing and e-mailing. The standard stuff. Now I find myself doing a
lot more coding, and statistical data analysis (boy, does SAS take up
screen real estate) and wishing that I had gone for a 15" powerbook
instead.

Another reason to opt for the Powerbook range is, of course, the latest
and greatest toys (USB 2.0, Firewire 800, etc.) as well as out of the
box screen spanning and a PCCard slot (on 15 and 17 inch models).
Processor performance is also a plus, if that is of great concern to
you. The powerbooks also feel more "of a piece" construction-wise than
the iBooks. You may also want to try the keyboards. The new keyboards
in the powerbooks are firmer than the iBook keyboards.

That said, I love my iBook and hope to get many years of service from
it.

Cheers,
John