[rescue] Re: 1000base-T GBIC

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Feb 5 01:56:13 CST 2004

Shawn said:

"Hmm, the GBIC's I have worked in both my Sun A5000 Fiber Channel Array
and my Extreme Black Diamond 6808."

The problem is that GBICs are designed to send an ID string to the switch
and some vendors design their equipment to deactivate the port if a 'non
genuine' part is found. The explanation from the vendors is that they're
trying to ensure a high level of compatibility that you might not get if you
mix & match your GBICs.

On most equipment, the port is reactivated when you remove the GBIC but
on some items the GBIC port is disabled until a repair technician comes out!

The crazy thing is that almost all GBICs are made by a small handful of OEMs
these days. IIRC the Sun 1Gb GBICs are IBM parts.

Regards,

Gavin