[rescue] 1000base-T GBIC

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Feb 4 18:47:01 CST 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 19:31, Michael Dombrowski wrote:
> Hello All,
> Anyone have an extra 1000base-T GBIC that they'd let
> go cheaply? I need to interface my big 'ole switch to
> some cheap copper gigabit switches.

Here's a warning:  You *need* to get GBICs that match your switch.
There's a chance that others will work, but you're likely to just end
up frying the GBIC and/or switch port if you're unluck, or it just not
working well if you've got a bit more luck.

That being said, I've never personally played with GBICs, but this is
what I've been told from some of my networking colleagues, and I'm
pretty damn sure they know what they're doing (one of them *literally*
"wrote the book" on Cisco IOS).

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS