[rescue] restorations and keyboards

Jeff Workman jworkman at pimpworks.org
Wed Feb 4 00:29:01 CST 2004

--On Wednesday, February 04, 2004 1:19 AM -0500 Patrick Finnegan
<pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:

> The only issue I have with using machines this old is it's painful to
> connect to them via SSH.  Those 3000/300LX's aren't too bad, but
> something like a 70MHz Sparcstation 5 just takes FOREVER to create a
> session key.  I don't even want to think what a MicroVAX 3400 would be
> like...

The very first www.pimpworks.org ran on a VAXServer 3100 running NetBSD,
and yeah, initiating ssh session was rather slow, but not as bad as what
you would think.

What was really painful on that platform was compiling stuff.  It took
somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 hours to compile bash, and $deity only
knows how long it took to build perl.

Running that machine taught me a lot about stripping a unix machine down to
the bare necessities, though.

-J

--
Jeff Workman | jworkman at pimpworks.org | http://www.pimpworks.org