[rescue] enterprise 150 questions

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Tue Feb 3 13:37:45 CST 2004

   On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Stephen Sukovich wrote:

> Subject: RE: [rescue] enterprise 150 questions
>
> >   You might also try frobbing the power switch on the Ultra-1's
> >PSU.  If some kind soul did a "init 5" on the machine, it shuts
> >the PSU down and the only way to get it powered back up again is
> >to get at the physical switch which entails dissecting the machine.
>
> Oh I dissected the machine and took all the foam pieces out which took
> forever... Do other enterprise machines like the 250s and 450s have foam
> inside them like this thing?

   I have no idea.

> Well I switched cables on the PSU, and the fans just jerked and didn't
> actually supply power when I hit the on switch on the psu and the
> machine.

   Nuts.  The next step, then, is to replace the PSU.

> Suprisingly someone is selling 39 of them for about $9.99 and
> about $15 for shipping and handling.

   That's a pretty good deal.  I bought a new one (well, used) when
I thought mine was deceased, and it went for about $40.  Once I
figured out that my issue was with the UPS, I put the original back
in.

   Oh, you don't happen to have really dirty power at your place,
do you?  That might be confusing the PSU to the point where it
won't fire up and stay up.

> Oh I have heard a rumor that the early ultrasparcs lower than 170mhz
> shouldn't be run in 64-bit mode because of some bug? Is there anything
> to that, or should I only care if running nuclear reactors, air traffic
> control systems, and other super mission critical things?

   There's a bug in the earlier UltraSPARCs that can allow a user
to wedge the system using well-crafted code.  If you're not worried
about hostile code, you can run the thing in 64-bit mode.  I run mine
that way.