[rescue] not quite dead u5...

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Tue Feb 3 06:37:26 CST 2004

Which reminds me of my U5 problem - it seems I broke the onboard VGA
output. Lacking a KVM I plugged my monitor between my U5 and another
computer repeatedly and one day I got no picture on the monitor any more
from the U5. Same monitor works fine with a PC and a Motorola Powerstack
and another known-good monitor doesn't work either for the U5.

This has probably nothing to do with it, but at the time I had several
PCI cards in the U5, one of them PCI VGA (S3 Virge with PC ROM) and a
SCSI cards and first I thought it was because of the PCI VGA card. But
after removing the cards it of course didn't heal.

When I power on the system, it lights the monitor green light for a
second, then turns it off. After some seconds, the green light turns on
again, then off again after a sec and then stays off.

Serial console works (if I unplug the keyboard), POST (with diag-switch?
= true) doesn't find anything wrong, test screen finds

Display not installed

Test hardware registers -  passed Ok
Test RamDAC -  passed Ok
Test Frame buffer -  passed Ok

Trying to bend the plugged in VGA plug lightly in any direction doesn't
help.

I am not good enough in F-Code and Sparc assemly to see how it detects
that display is not installed :(

So the question: is there any hope that I can fix it without replacing
the mainboard? Replacing the mainboard is probably out of question here
so if I can't fix it the U5 will remain a headless server :(

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)