[rescue] OT: Should I Cisco Cert?

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Mon Feb 2 18:02:31 CST 2004

While I wallow in unemployment, I have thought that, in absense of a
college degree, it would be to my benefit to get a professional
certification. I have considered the CompTIA Linux+, Networking+, and
Security+ certs, and also the Cisco CCNA and so on. I have acquired router
simulation software and study guides. I have taken a look at the salary
survey in tcpmag for Cisco certified people. It looks pretty good. I know
there are well-educated router people on here, so I will ask you: Is the
market in decent shape, and does a CCNA really get my foot in the door?
What should I look out for? What are the practical (i.e. career, money)
differences between the Engineering and Operations tracks?

-Bob

p.s. I understand there are things that can help in a router career, such
as having a beard and being a beer/whiskey snob. I fulfill both of those
requirements, and are developing them further.