[rescue] restorations and keyboards

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Feb 2 17:12:28 CST 2004

John Bischoff says ...

> Does anyone know a quick method of removing yellowing stains from keys?

Run it through the dishwasher, I've been told.  Top rack, keys down, low
temp, no-heat-dry, gentle cycle, then let it air-dry for a couple of days.
I have never tried this myself.

> One other quick question.  How many "rescuers" actually restore the
> computers and how many just make it usable?

None of mine have needed much "restoration" to be presentable on the
outside, so mostly I just clean 'em up and use 'em.  I'm not a museum, after
all, I'm just this guy, you know?

On the inside, they tend to be uprated to a little better spec than the
"as-built."  More memory and more disk space, usually.  Sun originally
delivered my SPARCclassic, for example, with 16 MB of RAM and a 424 MB hard
drive.  It runs a _lot_ better with 128 MB and 4.5 gigs....

I'm not that worried about originality on my old computers, or yours,
either.  Show me a "restored" 1958 Austin-Healey Sprite with the wrong
windshield header rail, though, and watch me go ape.

-Shel