[rescue] RAM for RS/6000 43P-140

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sun Feb 1 11:09:36 CST 2004

On Sunday 01 February 2004 11:48, Paul Weissmann wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I've some troubles finding the right specifications for RAM
> modules a IBM RS/6000 43P-140 can grok.
>
> It seems that it should take 3.3V buffered EDO-DIMMs, anyone knows if
> it also takes 3.3V FPM-DIMMs?

No.  FPM and EDO dimms are not interchangable.  In fact, you might not
be able to use "standard" DIMMs on the machine, I'd bet you'll need to
get memory for that system.  IBM likes to invent their own memory
pinouts and use the 'extra lines' for things.  Oh, and I almost forgot
to mention the 40 bit wide modules used in some Microchannel RS/6000s.

Memory shows up on ebay for about $20/128MB, which isn't too bad IMO.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue