[rescue] Favorite Keyboards (audio recording!)

Rox rox at sunmuseum.org
Thu Dec 30 05:48:33 CST 2004

On 30 Dec 2004 at 1:27, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> For me it was Paws on the Apple II, and Typing Tutor IV on my PC...

I learned to type on the three row* keyboard of a mechanical
teleprinter... that was the first alphanumerical input system I had
available, once I had written the code to convert the 5 unit Murray
(Baudot) code to ASCII (all of which had to be entered via the hex
keypad) ... The mechanics limited the speed to 66wpm (45 baud) but the
principle of typing at a steady moderate speed is something I find
helps the flow when typing text as I am composing it in my head... I
think there are similarities between brain functions and tape streamers
;)

* for those unfamiliar with the old 5 unit telegraph codes, the numbers
and punctuation marks share the same codes as the letters, with a shift
code that sets the type for following characters (and yes, if the shift
code is missed or corrupted, it gets hard to read)

--
  Regards
  -/ Rox /-    <sunmuseum.org>