[rescue] Wanted: 16M 72-pin parity SIMMs & Dell GXa CPU board/RAM

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Dec 24 15:32:00 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 00:42, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> > > No it won't fit. The GX series boxes are way proprietary. On a side note
.
.
.

> > Pretty sure I still have the Micronics... definately have the PR440FX.
> > Can't decide whether to run the PR440FX with 2 200MHZ 1M cache (each)
> > PPRO chips or 2 333MHZ Overdrive (w/only 256K cache per chip).
>
> IIRC the Micronics board is NOT compatible with the 1 MB cache PPRO dunno
> about the PR440FX. Also not to pick on you but the 333MHz overdrive CPUs are
> basically Pentium II's and have 512K cache running at full speed unlike the
> normal PII which only runs the cache at half speed.

The PR440FX works with them... I don't think Intel intended for the
440FX chipset to be used with these chips, instead expecting people to
use the 440GX chipset (I think that is the one).  However it does work.
I did not try them in the W6Li.

Indeed my memory had failed me... they have 512K cache each....

Still a bit of a dilema... 200mhz with 1 meg cache or 333 with 512K
cache.... hmmmm....  guess it would depend on the application...

-- Curt