[rescue] IRIX media question

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Dec 14 17:51:09 CST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:25:13 -0600
Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> I've got a pile of IRIX media here, and I need to figure out what to
> put together to have the best "complete set" that I can give to
> someone to install on bare metal.
According to http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html (see
also http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/netboot.html) you need at a
minimum:
- Installation Tools
- Foundation 1
- Foundation 2
- Applications

If the "Installation Tools" is part of a "Installation Tools and
Overlays" set you need the complete overlay set.

Depending on what to do later with the machine you will also need
- IRIX 6.5 Development Foundation
- IRIX 6.5 Development Libraries
- ONC3/NFS Version 3 (for IRIX 6.2-6.5)
later. Newer IRIX media sets have Development Foundation 1/2 and 2/2.

If you have a working IRIX machine: I recommend to copy all CDs to a
disk (each CD in an extra subdirectory), boot from the "Installation
Tools" CD, go to the admin menu, mount that disk by hand, point inst to
the subdirectorys of the needed CDs. That way the installation will run
from disk without any diskjockeying.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen