[rescue] Booting SATA on an old BIOS

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Wed Dec 8 13:23:14 CST 2004

>And I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "option ROM"...

OS on a chip, most times socketed directly into the motherboard.  Replaces
or supplements the BIOS.  Sometimes can be an adapter board, with a
firmware OS and some sort of kludge to get the beast to boot from a
non-disk disk.  Might not be available for your hardware (I wasn't paying
attention to the thread).

Without a BIOS update with the SATA option (unless you have considered
writing your own BIOS patch and burning an EEPROM, a personalized update,
per se) you are just not going to get this to boot from the SATA disk.
Consider a minimal floppy or CD boot with the main files on the SATA drive
and a set of SATA drivers?  Or some tiny old hard disk stuck in there just
to get things rolling.

--
wes will