[rescue] Re: IBM pSeries disk brackets

ghub005 ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Aug 31 07:27:52 CDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, ghub005 wrote:

I need to track down some spare IBM disk brackets for a pSeries machine
that
belongs to one of my clients. Does anybody know a place that carries
these?
The server is a model 615-6C3.

Then Jonathan said:

The p615 was just -introduced- a year ago.  You're not going to find
those brackets from anyone other than IBM.  For that matter, the
machine's probably still under maintenance; why are you not adding IBM
drives?

Good questions. The system is only used for QA testing Java apps and since it
isn't a production server, it isn't under a maintenance contract.

Based on current market prices, the genuine IBM 73GB/10k parts are priced
at just over seven times the price of a new Seagate or Hitachi disk. So it
makes sense to pick up some brackets (if they're available) and pair them
with generic disks.

FWIW 'vendor lock-in' is still a major factor in the Unix midrange marketplace.

Regards,

Gavin