[rescue] [RESOLUTION] APC MasterSwitch alternatives

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 30 21:47:57 CDT 2004

> From: "Ethan O'Toole" <ethan at 757tech.net>
> Date: 2004/08/31 Tue AM 01:29:53 GMT
> To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: Re: [rescue] [RESOLUTION] APC MasterSwitch alternatives
>
> >> From: "Ethan O'Toole" <ethan at 757tech.net>
> >> Date: 2004/08/30 Mon PM 09:09:54 GMT
> >> To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> >> Subject: Re: [rescue] [RESOLUTION] APC MasterSwitch alternatives
> >
> >> Hah! I had this wonderful idea a few years ago. Binary counter IC, 1000
> >> watt linear amplifier, X-10 remote, and a scheme to get the antenna up
> >> high.
> >
> > X10 power controllers are "carrier current", not RF - as such, it doesn't
> > cross over tranformers - "broadcasting" would be quite hard...
>
> The big remote control that many people use that talks to the carrier
> current connected module (the one with the big telescoping antenna) is uh,
> RF.

OK, fair enough, but do you really want to "aim" a kilowatt UHF signal at random houses, just to futz with the lights? (The remote works at 433 MHz - see: http://www.marmitek.com/en/klantenservice/marm_draadloos.html#Anchor-47383 )

Of course, maybe you do ;^)

I'd suggest lead undies just to be safe...