[rescue] FS: AlphaServer 4100 parts

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 29 13:07:06 CDT 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:03:30 -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Are there dual-CPU boards?

Not that I'm aware of.

> Both of these have two CPU board slots and
> four RAM board slots,

That sounds more like an AS4000 to me. Memory cards are added in pairs.

> and I don't see anywhere a second PCI cage could

I've never seen one, but I'd always assumed it would fit on the opposite
side to the cabinet to the existing PCI slots. You can upgrade an AS4000
to an AS4100 by replacing the system 'drawer' with a larger one,
although you have to remove the second 8 slot PCI busses to do so.

The cpu card cage in an AS4100 fills 3/4 of the width of the system
drawer with the remaining being the PCI slots. The cpu card case
in an AS4000 fills half of the width.