[rescue] Re: APC MasterSwitch alternatives

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Fri Aug 27 20:59:31 CDT 2004

Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>>Michael said:
>>
>>I've been looking for alternatives to an APC MasterSwitch. These are
>>essentially smart power strips that can be commanded over
>>serial/ethernet to drop load to some ports, etc... intended for
>>remote reboot.
>>
>>I need (well, want...) that remote reboot capability, but at $250 on
>>fleabay (and not having seen one at the MIT flea)... the price is
>>just out there. I considered getting more UPSs, since they're
>>actually a little cheeper and can often be commanded to drop load,
>>but they tend to drop load to everything or nothing...
>

> There are lots of similar devices. The nickname for them are Remote Power
> Boot or RPB's.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20315&item=5715770537&rd=1
>
> You could try to lowball them.

If you want to do this really "on the cheap" you can adapt
cheaplightswitch on linux (maybe other OSs) to control up to eight
devices through a parallel port on a linux box. I have built a
two-channel version that controls two devices. Telnet into the box and
issue the right command to turn anything on or off (with some limitations).

Glad to share experience and schematics if that's helpful.

Steve