[rescue] Compiling for older releases

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Aug 26 17:41:41 CDT 2004

" From: "William Enestvedt" <William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu>
"
" Can I "cross-compile" something -- OpenSSH, for example -- on, say, a
" Solaris 8 system for use on a Solaris 2.6 system? I know that I can
" compile on an older release of the OS for use on a newer release, but I
" want to go vice versa.
"    I suspect I know the answer, but I am hoping to be wrong. :7) Thanks
" for any brief but merciful replies.

if you have a spare disk [partition], you could install 2.6 and chroot
to it for building purposes.

how one installs 2.6 on an arch that doesn't support it i'll leave as
an exercise for the reader...  [perhaps run the installer script off
the cd?]