[rescue] Compiling for older releases

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 15:15:04 CDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:53:59 -0400, William Enestvedt wrote:
> Phil cheered me greatly by writing:
> > There is absolutely nothing whatsoever that will prevent you from
> > compiling OpenSSH on a Solaris 8 box for a Solaris 2.6 box.  All you
> > need to do is build and install the appropriate
> > cross-compiler to build
> > it with.
> >
>    Is it as simple as a "--release" (or whatever) flag to configure?
>    Or
> do I need to ensure that there are release-appropriate header files?

With any luck, it's a great deal simpler than building a cross-compiler.
Just pass '-z noversion' as a gcc flag and you'll end up with an object
file that isn't tied to particular versions of libc (or whatever). If
whatever you're compiling isn't making use of facilities that aren't in
SunOS5.6, you should be able to run the result fine.