[rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Aug 7 21:47:23 CDT 2004

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 @ 14:25 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:

> > From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> > Date: 2004/08/01 Sun PM 11:17:59 GMT
> > To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> > Subject: Re: [rescue] A Question about Snap Servers
> >
> > Sat, 31 Jul 2004 @ 09:13 -0700, Sheldon T. Hall said:
> >
> > > Well, yeah, but you're comparing current technology with 12-year-old
> > > technology.  There aren't too many computing arenas in which the 12-year-old
> > > technology is going to win out; MIPS/Watt certainly isn't going to be one.
> > > MIPS/retail$ is another.
> >
> > Also, how many 12-year old PCs are in active use?
>
> Are you talking the physical box, or the system design? ;^)

Heh heh... I thought of that right after I posted... :)

> (Couldn't resist... Seriously, what would a 12 year-old PC look like?
> Pentium? 64 Megs of RAM?)

I guess.

There are certainly some around, but most were lightly used, or just
happened to be one of the rare reliable ones.

They have nowhere near the staying power of other systems.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We are all of us in the gutter, some of us
looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde]