[rescue] Rescued: SGI Visual Workstation 320

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Fri Aug 6 14:24:13 CDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:43:44AM -0400, Nathan Raymond wrote:
> But of course to really make the best
> use of a high DPI screen, we need an operating system that dynamically
> scales the whole UI based on the physical screen size and pixel resolution
> so that you don't loose your cursor and get WYSIWYG etc.  Yet, NOBODY has
> created a GUI like that.  It's not hard, and it pisses me off that no one
> has done it (especially Apple, who by using DisplayPDF and introducing a
> new OS had the best opportunity to impliment it).  Sigh.

I don't know of an OS that *automatically* scales everything based on
the physical size and addressable rersolution of the monitor.  However,
I run fvwm2 on top of X/11, and it's the work of minutes to make the
necessary adjustments to scale my UI to a different monitor.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net