[rescue] RE: [geeks] The Mini-ITX box is done!

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 12:46:57 CDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:09:11 -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> I just looked at gentoo - and seeing things like "when you boot,
> you'll see a lot of text scrolling by" in the installation handbook
> does not really inspire me. :)

It does seem a bit casual, but a) It's correct for all Linux
distributions (unless you boot graphically), and b) lessens the
importance of some really inscrutable(*) messages.

Gentoo isn't for someone who wants a quick install, but there are some
advantages. One I like is that it's theoretically a release-version-less
distribution. The LiveCD's have versions, but once you're installed you
just 'emerge -u world' to keep updated.

(* I installed Fedora Core 2 onto a quad-Xeon MT Dell today. One
inscrutable message that I recall was about CPU "siblings". Now I could
guess what it meant, but it's hardly a sensible message.)