[rescue] A Question about Snappy phone stuff

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 12:03:55 CDT 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:36:55 -0400 (EDT), Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> economy phone service (incoming free, outgoing pay). Cell phones are
> crushing the need for wireline.

The only use I have for a landline is for something to carry the ADSL
signals to the local exchange. A few months ago a guest plugged my
landline phone in; after I'd figured out what the strange ringing noise
was, I was surprised to find people trying to sell me things over it.

It occurred to me that I have at last got a use for that voice facility
on my old serial modem ... setup one of the those irritating voicemail
thingies to keep them on the line for as long as possible. It's rumoured
that salescritters making cold calls aren't allowed to hang up!