[rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Mon Aug 2 10:27:37 CDT 2004

> From: Bill Bradford
>
> ACK PHBBTTTT!
> ERRDOESNOTCOMPUTE :)
>
> (seriously, I saw some serious uptime on SCO boxes back in the day, circa
> '94-98 or so.  Tons of places would have a Pentium or 486 in the back with
> serial terminals hanging off it..)

Yes, in a previous life we ran SCO on Pentium class machines (60-90-133-166)
for our character based point-of-sale app in 70+ retail locations. In
practice, it was much easier to integrate than straight AT&T SysV "Destiny"
or UnixWare.

We started hearing about this "Linux" thing about that time, but after a
quick look at Yggdrasil (I still have that distro from summer '94) there
wasn9t enough "there" there- flakey SCSI, our tape drives had problems, etc.

The Pentiums were the second generation of hardware that replaced the AT&T
3b1's that had been in the field. Those were fun :-)

Steve