[rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 2 09:21:22 CDT 2004

> From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> Date: 2004/08/01 Sun PM 11:09:28 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

> Given the size of ROM these days, there is no reason they could not have
> a serial BIOS on every motherboard sold, just disabled by default.
>
> You would think the factories and OEMs would want this for better
> automated testing.

Aw, how cute - you think PC Mfgs. are interested in testing/diagnosis? I think they view them as scrap if they are returned as damaged... I think many (all?) MBs have some sort of dedicated connector on the MB for some form of smoke test before it leaves the factory (usually an edge connector). Once it is in the case, who cares? And once it is in the field, how many problems (as a percentage) actually turn out to be anything other than a faulty OS choice? ;^)