[rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Aug 1 21:39:00 CDT 2004

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 @ 18:17 -0500, Bill Bradford said:

> On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:09:28PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Given the size of ROM these days, there is no reason they could not have
> > a serial BIOS on every motherboard sold, just disabled by default.
> > You would think the factories and OEMs would want this for better
> > automated testing.
>
> I've seen (and used) a number of systems that allowed you to redirect the
> system console to a serial port (including the pair of P4 machines i just
> built) - but it feels very "tacked on", and doesn't have as much "it just
> works" mojo as the way Sun boxes do it.

I know what you mean.  I saw one and it looked like it was emulating VGA
or MGA text mode in vt100 or something.

Now, I *did* see one Intel server board that had a serial BIOS that
wasn't like that, but it has been a long time and I don't remember the
details.  However, I believe it was a lot like DEC Alpha firmware.

> I've had (and still have) Sun boxes that have never had a video card
> installed or a keyboard attached.

I've never owned a Sun with video until I picked up an SS5 that just had
a card in it.

Most of the older Suns suck so bad with graphics it isn't worth it
anyway.

I'm getting a U1 with video, and will probably try it just for grins if
nothing else.

Still debating which OS to use.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall