[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue Apr 27 00:07:21 CDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Their major selling point (in terms of mindshare) on Java is "write
> once, run anywhere".  At least, that's how they see it.  Maybe once
> they've convinced themselves that they've won that battle, they'll
> produce a decent optimizing native-code Java compiler for Solaris.

When I worked for $telecom (hint: 3 letter name, recently made
Enron's activities look like child's play, trial still ongoing)
we used an application for our employee expense software that
worked fine and we had used it for years.  It used 3270, which
meant it worked from any frickin thing, so of course some suit
decided we needed to change it.  They spent many months and
untold amounts of money to create it, and rolled it out with
much fanfare and a mandatory offsite meeting to present it
to us.  They had gone to great trouble to write 2 different
interfaces so it could be accessed from any platform.  One was a
Windows app, of course.  Our department was an all unix shop.  We didn't
have PCs.  We didn't want PCs.  We weren't budgeted for PCs.  The second
was written in Java... Microsoft Java...

When my cohort and I pointed out they had actually written two
Windows-only interfaces, we were met with only blank stares.

It was truly a Dilbert moment.

Suits.  Can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em.

-DanD

# You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
#       - Mark Twain